Sunday, October 10, 2010

Eyes Wide Open

I have heard so many people in my circle of influence who have problems getting to sleep at night.  Or problems getting back to sleep when something awakens them.  I am compelled at such times to offer the one exercise that I have used for more than 20 years.  My mind is so used to the exercise that I can just barely get past the first part before falling asleep.  This does take practice!  But often the thing that keeps us from falling easily to sleep is that we can't turn our minds off from the issues of the day.  This exercise helps to focus your mind on something other than your problems and concerns.  Think of it as a sophisticated way of counting sheep! 

5, 4, 3, 2, 1

When trying to get to sleep, begin by naming 5 things that you see --  (“I see the ______________, I see the ______________, I see the _____________, etc., naming things in room or things in memory from bedroom where you sleep).  You silently say these things in your head.

Now close eyes for rest of activity.

Move to 5 things you hear, then 5 things you feel.  Next progress to 4 things you see, 4 things you hear, 4 things you feel, then 3 of each, then 2, then one.

Keep the “chant” going throughout:  I see the __________, I hear the ____________, I feel the ___________etc. through 4 items I see, 4 items I hear, 4 items I feel; use the same items or different, then 3 of each, then 2, then 1

At first you won’t hear anything, but as you listen deeply, noises will rise to your consciousness (ex:  breathing, fan, people in next room)

Examples of feelings:  I feel my foot going to sleep, I feel hungry, I feel my leg against the sheet.

If not asleep or relaxed, start over with 5 things I see.  If you get lost or mixed up, start anywhere.  It doesn’t matter as long as you are calm and relaxed. 

With practice, you will notice it takes less and less time to fall asleep when you begin this routine.

Example:
I see the clock on the wall, I see the window, I see the bureau, I see the door, I see the picture.  I hear the birds outside, I hear cars going by, I hear the hum of the frig, I hear people walking by, I hear snoring.  I feel tired, I feel anxious, I feel the bed against my leg, I feel my hands twitching.

On to 4 of each, then 3, then 2, then 1, starting over anywhere you get mixed up.  Focus isn’t on doing this exercise “right,” but on concentrating on something other than the things making you anxious or unable to sleep.    (Michele Weiner-Davis technique)

(Photo "counting sheep" by andywon, shared via Flickr)

No comments:

Post a Comment