Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A book worth reading....

I love to find a book that I can't put down.  They are few and far between with life's busyness interfering and all of my other interests taking center stage.  But when I find one that grabs me and won't let go, it's a rare treat.  I remember times this would occur when I had three young children and would stay up half the night finishing a book, only to drag myself through the next day.  My life is easier now, but the "can't put down" books seem harder to find.

Cutting for Stone, by Abraham Verghese is such a book.  I read it over the course of a couple of days, ignoring as many of my responsibilities as possible, wanting only to get back to the book.  It is a gripping tale, set in Ethiopia, and written by a physician.  The author was born and raised in Ethiopia and is a physician, so obviously knows Ethiopia and medicine intimately.  The story touched me deeply.  Here's a quote from the book: 
"The world turns on our every action, and our every omission, whether we know it or not."
This, in a nutshell, seems to be the theme of the book.  The actions and omissions of the characters left me hanging precariously throughout, but the loose ends were tied up by the end of the book.  I was sorry to turn  the last page.

I'd love to hear about books that have grabbed you!

No comments:

Post a Comment