Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Be Like Dave

I have been following the Towne family since August of 2007, when their two-year-old son, Ben was diagnosed with neuroblastoma.  I followed them through the year and a half of treatment and attended the memorial service after Ben died in December of 2008 at the age of 3.  I am now following them as they launch the Ben Towne Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation to further pediatric cancer research.  A recent post by Carin, Ben's mother, describes beautifully what is helpful when coming alongside someone who is suffering, exemplified by Rev. Dave Rohrer:
If I were to give guidance to anyone who is walking along side a family who is losing/has lost their child here is what I would say:  Be like Dave.


When you have the urge to speak, listen. When you feel like your job is to point out the good news, wait.  When you have the need to wrap up our experience, please don’t. For real, loving care is the willingness to sit with someone and remain with them in their pain. To hear their fears and sorrow.  To say with your actions, “I don’t have all the answers, but I’m sorry. And I am here.” (Read the entire post here.)
May we all strive to "Be like Dave!"

No comments:

Post a Comment